Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Good Laugh

I'm happy to report that I've begun work on the next Sammy Keyes book. That girl is such a kick to spend time with. This is the 12th book in the series and I'm nowhere near tired of her. When I do school visits I sometimes joke with kids that I write to crack myself up--that my reason for writing is simply to make myself laugh. That's not true, of course. I write for much more complex and serious reasons than that. But I also write to crack myself up. And so far, I've done a lot of laughing. I mean, having a man get scared to death is, on the surface, not funny. But when it's Sammy doing the scaring, for some reason it becomes hilarious. Poor girl. The things I make her go through to get a good laugh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really do hope you never get bored with Sammy Keyes. I have all the books, and have reread them countless times. I can't wait for the next book. Cheers!

Wendelin Van Draanen said...

So nice of you to say that Milan, thank you! There are a total of 20 planned, so I've got a little ways to go! Glad you're along for the adventure :-)